Thursday, June 9, 2011

The old 2 for one

This morning, I woke up feeling HORRIBLE. Pretty good cramps and pain in my upper right quadrent. I got up and tolerated it for an hour or so before I woke up my GF and told her we need to go to the ER. I called the on call Dr from the GI office, and he confirmed I should go get it checked out.

So we drove over the ER, and there was one gentleman in the ER waiting room. They checked me in, and told me to wait. So I waited and waited and waited.. Something like 40+ minutes elapsed and I still wasn't taken back. All the while the pain keeps getting worse.

Finally they take me back and the nurse tossed me a gown and said you need to put this on, but said I could leave my underwear on and I thought she said leave my shirt on too. So I put the gown on, but backwards, then had to walk out and give a urine sample. The nurses got a chuckle out of it. I would find out later, that the ER nurses were, shall we say, a bit bitchy. After a bit the ER Dr came in and I explained about the colonoscopy, and the findings He said well, let's get you some Percaset, and then get some X-Rays. The X-Ray techs (one was  a trainee) were GREAT. They let my GF stay in the control room and watch, and showed me the X-Rays after they were done. I have two pretty large gall stones... Ugh.

So they end up rolling me back to the ER room, and the pain keeps getting worse. After about 45 minutes from the time of the pill, I asked for a shot. The Dulotted shot FIXED the pain. As a matter of fact about 45 minutes after the shot,  I was drifting in and out of sleep.  The GF ran down to get something to eat and while she was down at the cafeteria, the Dr came in, AND the GI office called me, so I asked the ER doc if he wanted to talk to the GI office, which he did, asking them to fax my file over to the hospital. He then said he'd call the surgeon and get back to me.

After an hour and a half or so wait, the ER doc came back and said he'd talked to the surgeon. The surgeon said, "Sure I'll take his gall bladder out, but given the mass on the intestine, he's rather take our time, and get all our ducks in a row so he only has to go in once. I asked the ER doc if he'd have this surgeon work on me and the said, he would prefer the guy he's talked to partner. So I've decide I'm going to talk to the partner.

After the Dr came in and talked to us, he said that he was going to send me home. But the pain was coming back so I asked for some pain relieve from the nurse. And the nurse came in and said "Well, I'm going to start an IV" and I responded, "The Dr said I was going home" so she went and checked and then came back with an Indecine pill, and had me sign some documents, without really going over them. I got dressed and walked myself SLOWLY to the car. Since I had the Dulotted, and had a "Fall hazard" wrist band, I would have expected to get a wheel chair ride to the car.

After we got to the car, my gf said "The nurses there really had the attitude they were too busy to help the patients." Yea, the nurses are going to get a BAD review when I get the paperwork. I'm also going to make mention of the fall hazard and no wheelchair ride.

After getting the pharmacy stuff taken care of, we headed home, and I crashed, as did my GF. I got up about 5 hours later to get some more pain meds, then went back to bed. The GF brought me a sandwhich about 9 pm, and I got up to take a shower and sit up for a bit.

Yea, I'm WHIPED OUT...

No comments:

Post a Comment