Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Prep

Monday morning came and I was tired and grouchy. I got up, made up the first batch of Movi-Prep and put it in the fridge to cool. Not TOO hungry yet, but the day was still early. I went to work for the first half of the day, and tried to concentrate on work as much as possible. Around noon, I left, and logged in from home. I knew I was going to be grouchy, so I figured I'd be grouchy at home.

At 6 pm, the main event begins. I grab the solution out of the fridge and pour a full pint glass..... UGH, As anybody who knows me can attest, I can SLAM liquids down, just open the throat and toss it back, but this stuff has a distinctive taste, but the WORST part is the smell. I'm supposed to wait 5 minutes before the next one, but I'm a "get it done and be over with it" type of guy, so I slam the next one. The first two went in two long pulls. The third one, I got about three quarters of the way and had to stop my gag reflex from kicking in. After a short pause I was able to finish the last of it. I then made up the second batch and tossed it in the fridge for the morning.

About 5 minutes later, my guts, which due to the limited food intake of the last couple days, come alive... Gurgle, gurgle gurgle.....About 30 minutes later, things start moving fast. After reading all the reports and all the literature, I thought I would not be able to move from the bathroom, but there was never a time where I felt, an "OMG, I have to get there in 30 second or I'm doomed" scenario, I could have probably ventured down the corner store (a five minute trip) no problem. After a good couple of hours, everything was pretty much over and from the looks of things the prep was where it needed to be.

One note: After every trip to the bathroom, I filled the same glass I used for drinking the solution originally with water and drank a full glass. I was also drinking gatorade as well. I figured I reuse the glass (not rinsed out) to get as much of that stuff down my throat as possible.

Went to bed about Midnight, had a hard time sleeping, but finally drifted off and slept hard until 4:45 am or so, then couldn't go back to sleep. Got up, played some Red Dead Redemption on the 360 and wrote a letter to my GF that I wanted her to read while I was in the procedure. Things have been very emotional for me, and I needed to tell her some things that I had realized. We have a very open relationship with each other, and communicate very well, but like all relationships, it's hard to communicate when you yourself doesn't know what you need, want, or feel. You need to be able to put your feelings into words so you can share them, and if you can't do that, the other person can't possibly know what you are thinking.

At 8:30 I called the Dr's office to confirm when the second batch should be drank. The lady scheduling the appt put 9:30, but the form said "5 hours before your appt", which meant 8:45. The nurse I spoke to said, "Someone can't do math" and said to go ahead and drink it.  I then asked her about the Propofol, and she said Group Health did NOT cover it, and that Versed, and Fentayl were what was covered. I then explained that Versed was a non starter, and that I wanted to try it without any med, but Fentayl was an option. "If I'm paying for the movie, I might as well watch it" She said that a few people 1 or so would try the no drug option each month, but that those people that come in with the attitude that is the way they are going to do it have no problems.

My GF came over at about 11, and we watched and episode of Battlestar Galactica, then I showered and off we went.

Yea, I was nervous.

No comments:

Post a Comment